Tuesday 21 January 2014

Grand Theft Auto 5 and Southern California Nostalgia

My first job after my PhD was working as a postdoctoral research fellow at UC San Diego. It was the first time I had ever traveled overseas from Australia, and I was pretty young and naive in retrospect. When I first arrived I thought I was living somewhere called "la jolla" (hint to Australian's it's pronounced "la hoya"). Anyway I worked at UCSD in Milton Saier's laboratory for several years, where I developed my love for transporter proteins, bioinformatics and the San Diego Padres baseball team.

I've been playing alot of Grant Theft Auto 5 on my Xbox since Christmas, and in addition to the fun of driving fast cars like a complete maniac, I must admit they have done a great job with the virtual imitation of Southern Californian scenery in the game, playing it has made me feel very nostalgic for my postdoc days. I'm almost at 100% completion on the game, I just need to win a medal in the stupid 26 minute triathalon and then it will be time to move on to the next of my Christmas presents- Assasin's Creed 4: Black Flag (please give your pity to my poor partner, she will have to put up with me talking in stupid pirate accents while I play Black Flag). Of course multiple looming grant deadlines will probably interfere with those gaming plans.

Southern Californian scene from GTA 5

La Jolla cove

3 comments:

  1. Check out this cool cheats and game guides www.99gtaguides.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read.
    Grand Thegt Auto

    ReplyDelete
  3. I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish incredible. Wonderful activity!
    GTA 5 hack online

    ReplyDelete